Ham and Broccoli Bake

Author: Holly // Category: , , ,
*****
Ham and Broccoli Bake for a Crowd (BH&G)
2  20oz packages frozen cut broccoli *(or FRESH)
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2  10 3/4 oz cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
2  10 3/4 oz cans condensed cream of celery soup
2 soup cans milk
2 cups shredded sharp American cheese *(cheddar)
6 cups cubed fully cooked ham
4 cups quick-cooking rice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Cook broccoli till tender; drain well. In saucepan cook onion in butter till tender but not brown.

In a large mixing bowl stir together soups, milk, and cheese. Add drained broccoli, cooked onion ham, uncooked rice, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Divide mixture between two 2 1/2 qt casseroles.

Bake, covered at 350 till rice is done, 45-50 minutes.
* my adjustments 
I actually cooked it uncovered and it was still GREAT!  ;D

Makes 20 servings



*****

This recipe is in the Casseroles for a Crowd section of the Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite Casserole recipes. This will make 2 large casseroles to serve 20. I, however, have to do things my own way. YOU CAN 1/2 the recipe and only make one. BUT I figure if I'm going to the work of putting it ALL together... make the WHOLE SHEBANG and get use out of it other nights!    =D 

In all honesty... divide into whatever SIZE works for YOUR needs!! Pyrex has some great dishes with lids that go nicely in the freezer. I happened to divide this one into 2 baking dishes and a small Pyrex container that I'll be bringing to a sweet lady that will be coming home from rehab following knee surgery soon. So our family gets 2 meals and one for her, too! If you were just a couple, you could divide it up into several! Follow the cooking directions for the one you're going to eat only.

FREEZING:  Make sure the dish you are using to freeze in will seal properly and that there is enough room at the top for expansion. Plan to use within 2-3 months for best results. When you are going to cook it, let it thaw completely and then bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes (until rice is done).


I've also made variations of this when I didn't have ham and not enough broccoli. That's the great thing about many casseroles... You can substitute ingredients and it still comes out YUMMY! On that occasion I used lean ground beef in place of the ham and broccoli and cauliflower for the veges.   ;D

1 Response to "Ham and Broccoli Bake"

Anonymous Says :
June 8, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Yummm does that ever look tastey! That dish is right up my alley & knocking on my taste buds as I type. Thank you so much for checking out my blog--Your comment was upsetting to read. I'm sympathetic to your situation. I'm going to give a little bit of thought before I answer. Where is it that you live? It may help to get outside resources to speak with her. Often they can come right to the home depending on the situation. Even if she is covering up for him they will see through it & enlighten her about the cycles of abuse, how they don't stop and do not get any better. These men are like text books & the information & advice a councellor can give her will help. My next blog post will have a few more ideas for you! Take care! Bless you and your Family! Erika.

Post a Comment